Thursday 11 December 2014

Society and Depression

Rather topical this today, with the mental health charity Mind announcing the results of a report into the wellbeing of those who are on work-based programmes as supported by our beloved government. Unsuprisiningly, the results make for somewhat grim reading for the coalition. 
 
According to Mind, 83% of people they surveyed said using the programme and the government's job centre services had made their mental health worse. Three quarters of those polled said they felt less able to work as a result of being on these schemes, the charity said. At the same time, the schemes were ineffective for people with mental health problems, as only 5% of people had been helped into work, campaigners claimed.
 
I have written previously about my struggles with depression and anxiety - and I can vouch for the above - nothing, I mean nothing is more stressful than the worry of losing your benefits because you're not finding work, due to your head not being in the right place, mentally, nor emotionally.  I had my benefits stopped once, because I had a breakdown which resulted in me not being able to go for work - for a substantial period of time, and it is the closest I have been to being destitute - literally scraping each penny for what little you could get. Now, I had it lucky, I was living at home at the time, and my mother could just about support me, but as we all know - there are people who have nothing, nor anybody to turn to in their time of need - I recall a man calling up LBC just in the past week, saying that he couldn't afford to eat. Just imagine that man suffering from mental health problems - he probably does - even if he doens't realise it - as that is what it does to you - the whole vicious circle keeps on revolving ad infinitum.
 
Poverty, Depression, Alcohol. 
 
Without a doubt the three most destructive elements in society right now - young people are living at home longer as they can not pay the obscene costs of renting - even down here. So there you have the poverty element there - young people don't want to be staying at home, I know I didn't want to! There's the depression part - and finally what do you do when you're depressed? Drink the night away. Bingo.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment